Saturday, June 12, 2010

Buck 110 Upgrade adding thumb stud and pocket clip






























































I think every knife nut has owned at least one Buck 110 in their life time. I know I have had several and I remember as a boy using mine doing everything from whittling on the porch just making shavings to actually field dressing small game a time or three.

I also recall buying those early slide on spring steel attachments sold in various places that you started on the blade at the swedge taper and then gently nudged it on up to about where the thumb stud is mounted on this one. Those little spring steel attachments were equipped with a wing that allowed one hand opening and although they would eventually pop off it was usually a pretty simple matter to slide it back up on there if you didn't lose it.

Had I thought of it back then I'd surely have tried to make a pocket clip but the idea just didn't take until a man named Sal Glesser from Spyderco knives changed all that in the early 80s. Back then the sheath it sold in was the only way to carry such a big knife.

Anyway I've had a lot of the Buck 110s and even the 112 Rangers, as well as many of the little 501 Esquire models, well I guess its just called the Squire now, but they have all been here as well as many more for this upgrade of a thumb stud and a pocket clip for either tip up or tip down right or left hand carry.

Some have wanted ambi thumb studs, some just one, some wanted multiple mounting options for the clip while others knew just what they wanted and didn't worry about any others. This young man that owns this knife shown will feel like he just got a new knife when it returns to him here shortly, even though its his same trustworthy hunting companion he has used many times.

I have tons of pictures stored of the various models I've converted like this for people but the idea to post them here just never occurred to me until today. Mostly I was using my blogger for the bigger more intensive jobs I was getting myself into but since I've been winding down limiting my work to just the smaller more manageable jobs I can get in and out of here quickly for folks it seemed to make sense to post one at least once.


2 comments:

  1. Do you still do this type of work? Adding pocket clip and stud on a 110? Looks great! Would like to have this done.

    ReplyDelete