Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Custom Low Rider Pocket Clips:

Pocket view. Note how the knife disappears in the pocket. This answers the question of why folks want a low rider. My clip is less noticed due to difference in 'foot print' size also. 
STR Low Rider mounted

Factory clip set up 

Superimposed view of my clip over the factory clip for this model
Close up of STR Low Rider

Side view STR Low Rider

Side view factory clip
One of the things I get asked to do more than anything else is to make one of my custom low rider pocket clips fit a favorite everyday carry knife for a customer. This is one of the few things I do involving production folders anymore and something I will always do at least as long as I can. As many of those following my work know, I used to do quite a bit of modification work on production folders as shown here in my blog in past posts. Most all of those production knife jobs have been discontinued by me with the exception of my custom pocket clips.  I am a pocket clip fan and I enjoy making these for folks when it involves knives already equipped with a pocket clip. Some models such as the Spyderco Military, and Para Military 1 and 2, the Kershaw Leek, or Junk Yard Dog II folder (shown) and the Benchmade Mini and full size Griptilian folders are frequent requests that come my way.

For most of these above models I can make a clip without the need for having the knife shipped to me because I have some of my own folders in these same models which can be used to make pocket clips for others. If someone owns something other than these knives I may need the knife in question to do the pocket clip. It depends on several things I need to know. Sometimes it helps to see pictures of a knife in question and from all sides to decide if one of my clips is a possibility. Pictures can tell me a lot usually so if you have some of your knife or a link to your knife model that helps me to determine if we can proceed or not on a pocket clip project.

This JYDII folder here was set up to take one of my custom fit low rider pocket clips made from .045 thick titanium. I use the same knife maker grade of titanium for my clips as I do for my knives. You can see the side shots for both factory and upgrade to my clip as well as the difference in look and fit from one to the other. I try whenever possible to use the factory pre-threaded holes already in the knives. In the event I have to drill and thread new holes for mounting the clip somewhere other than the factory mountings I would need the knife. This of course is problematic when I have to modify a knife permanently because it voids the factory warranty but also its something that needs discussed because there are some models I simply won't drill and thread into for various reasons. Pinned together knives are some I'm not really fond of working on even though you can find some that I have done. For knives that never had a pocket clip it can also be problematic. Some knives simply won't allow for a clip to be installed due to how they are made or the materials they are made from. Each case varies so contact me if you have questions about yours.

Anyway, this has been something I've been wanting to do ever since this customer of mine sent me these pictures and posted them on my forum to show what the before and after for one of my low rider or fold over style pocket clips did for his Kershaw knife. As you can see from the pocket shot the knife buries deep and completely disappears with one of my clips. This is not always the case as some models won't allow me to make the clip such that it can go clear to the end of the knife to do the fold over due to their specific design but no matter it is still better for how it sits than a factory set up. Sometimes its necessary to weave the stem of the clip between the lanyard hole and a button lock or some other mechanism which forces me to stop the clip short of going to the end. At other times if it looks like the fold over would overhang off the spine I am forced to fold it over before it would overhang to keep the clip as invisible in the hand as possible. So in these cases I cannot bury a knife as deep as one may envision but usually its pretty close.

Some customers elect a bead blasted finish as shown here. Bead blasted is the most popular request. Other customers elect to have me anodize their clip a color, usually khaki or brown, or perhaps blue jean blue to allow the clip to blend with slacks a little better in the work place giving their carry knife somewhat of an urban camo thing going on. Some customers that carry larger knives prefer to have a smaller than factory clip made to fit their knife. This gives the illusion that the knife they carry is much smaller than it really is. So occasionally I'll get an order for an almost "pen" looking pocket clip rather than one as large as that shown.

If you navigate my blogger a bit using the menu to the right you can find older posts I did on my low rider clips also, both in May and August of 2010. However, if it interests you further you can see still more of my work in my forum at http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=810 in the makers section. Once on my forum, just find the pinned posts at the top pf the page somewhere with the other pinned posts there titled "Low Rider Clip Picture thread" or "The Picture Thread" and you can see more. Both of these threads and the other pinned posts are always there on page one somewhere at the top of the page on my forum so they'll always be easy to find in the event you want to see a picture again or see what new pictures have been added. Lastly, if you need or want to get in touch with me about how to get one of my clips for yourself simply go here and fill out and print one of my work order forms and once I get it I'll do the rest or contact you if I have any questions. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525771
For the record I do have a second forum on http://knifedogs.com/forumdisplay.php?33-STR-s-Back-Yard-Dog-House that also has additional pictures in a separate gallery.

Thanks for stopping by my blogger.
STRs

No comments:

Post a Comment